Solfège is singing one-vowel-sound to a traditional Scale<—-Click here if you want to know what a scale is. By definition SCALE is a ladder of sound using 8 notes.
The solfège scale looks like this: Do-Re-Mi-Fa-Sol-La-Ti-Do. A person learning solfege tends to gain fluency with pitch faster and more thoroughly than others who don’t use a system.
Indian Solfege – sa – ri – ga – ma – pa – da – ni – sa
Japanese Solfege – i – ro – ha – ni – ho – he – to – i
Why Learn Solfège?
- earn songs quickly.
- It helps you sight-sing or learn music without hearing a tune played first.
- Solfege reveals patterns in music.
- Creates impressions in the brain connecting an unknown song to a known one to perform it easily
- Solfège takes the very complicated system of 12 major scales and combines it into one.
- Without solfège you might sing 100 songs and still take hours to learn a new one.
Hand Signs Used
There are hand signs used with each solfège syllable. For some it is an added complication and for others, it helps you recall syllables quickly. what ever the case solfeggi is important not the hand signs whatsoever.
Solfege is a Moveable Scale
C is “do” in C-major, G is “do” in G-major, D is “do” in D-major, and etc. Solfège reveals that no matter what key all major scales are the same; the only difference is the pitch you start on.
What about the chromatic notes. Do they also have a syllable?
If you sing a chromatic scale up, the syllables are: Do-Di-Re-Ri-Mi-Fa-Fi-Sol-Si-La-Li-Ti-Do. The system is a great one ,but if your a beginner then you’ll not need this as for now.
Now we’ll apply Solfege to a song called – What Can I Share With You
Solfege Hand signs
There are hand signs associated with every note in a scale. The purpose of this is to associate your body movements (Motor skill) to Musical notes.
Look at the Picture to see how each one looks like.
Lets learn to play this song on Piano.
- Try to play it in both hands
- Start with Right hand and then your left hand
Watch and Learn how to play it
alfread piano book